[Cryptography] Drop Zone: P2P E-commerce paper

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Mon Mar 30 09:37:59 EDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 01:20:37AM +0900, Lodewijk andré de la porte wrote:
> This project will:
>
>  * use the testnet which is not recommendable at all. If you want security
> you need something else, if you just want communication -- why clutter the
> testnet?
>  * in an unintended manner, and purely for communication. Existing
> swarm/mesh networks already solve this problem. Freenet solves this
> problem. I2P solves this problem. This is not an efficient or elegant way
> to approach this problem.

Unlike all other forms of communication proof-of-work blockchains offer
the specific advantage that they give you very strong abilities to
detect censorship; the blockchain itself is proof that some message got
to all(1) bitcoin miners, and in practice, anyone who wants to see it.
I2P, and Freenet in opennet mode do not solve these problems as they
don't solve the sybil attack problem; Tor solves this problem by having
a central set of trusted consensus signers.

1) Where "all" is defined as everyone on the best chain that you know
   of.

>  * utilizes a form of central bookkeeping that deters, not promotes, the
> privacy goals of this project (aka the blockchain)

Correct, although this is an equivalent problem to all other issues of
sending BTC anonymously.

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
0000000000000000127f589bfac9d4c518e492ef6774e40fc3574529f0b47000