[Cryptography] Drop Zone: P2P E-commerce paper

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Mar 28 15:29:18 EDT 2015

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015, Jeremy Stanley wrote:

> > But be aware that the FCC frowns on encrypted radio channels.
>
> I find myself wondering exactly what sort of person is perfectly happy
> to ignore commerce laws, but still cares what the FCC thinks? After all,
> Dominique and Blank Reg were able to broadcast Big Time Television from
> a bus. Hard Harry transmitted his pirate radio station from a Jeep. It
> can't be that hard to evade triangulation for brief AX.25 packet radio
> exchanges.

I, cough cough, have done it myself in Australia (for educational reasons.
you understand, and the packets still carried the requisite callsigns
anyway).

Australia, and probably other civilised nations, also permit encryption
for remote control of satellites and the like, and for sensitive messages
such as finding the kid's corpse on a search and rescue mission (also,
Morse code has been used for precisely that; I know the parties
concerned).

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)   "Those who don't understand security will suffer."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)