[Cryptography] NSA Pre-Releases 24 William Friedman Docs, 909 pp

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Mar 24 23:41:02 EDT 2015

On 03/23/2015 03:47 PM, John Young wrote:
> NSA Pre-Releases William Friedman Docs 909 pp (PDF, 50MB)
>
> <http://cryptome.org/2015/03/nsa-friedman-15-0323.pdf>http://cryptome.org/2015/03/nsa-friedman-15-0323.pdf
>

> 24 Papers of 52,000 pp due in April 2015
>
> <https://www.nsa.gov/public_info/declass/friedman_documents/index.shtml>https://www.nsa.gov/public_info/declass/friedman_documents/index.shtml

That is awesome.  Friedman is absolutely the final authority on
"classical" or pre-computer cryptography.  I have his "Military
cryptanalysis" books (5 volumes, tho each is sort of thin) and
they really are a complete guide to breaking virtually every kind
of pen&paper cipher that was in use at that time.

This looks like a lot of the same material, (some of it in draft
or pre-release versions) plus a lot of context about the war and
other circumstances that motivated it.

				Bear