[Cryptography] "Most Americans Don't Mind Being on Candid Camera"

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Tue Mar 24 13:04:47 EDT 2015

Dan Geer wrote:
> Show me the man and I'll find you the crime.
>                         -- Lavrentiy Beria, NKVD
>
> Beria is all the more correct in a surveillance society;
> read Silverglate's _Three Felonies a Day_ if needing more.
> The real question is who can (is able to) opt out, and what
> is the social cost for doing so when we are facing a wave of
> globalized, extra-territorial prosecutions for social crimes
> for which the Bill of Rights is but a local ordinance.

Dave Eggers' novel "The Circle" (hardcover: McSweeney's and Knopf,
2013; paperback: Vintage, 2014) is a brilliant exploration of how
such a surveillance society could be created -- with superficially
benign intent -- by social networking run amok.  I highly recommend
the novel.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA