[Cryptography] DIME // Pending Questions // Seeking Your Input

Stephan Neuhaus stephan.neuhaus at zhaw.ch
Tue Mar 24 11:26:21 EDT 2015

On 2015-03-01 17:16, ianG wrote:
> But, they are both *general* data formats and one thing we know from
> security is that we don't want general, we want specific.  Close off
> stuff not open it up.

In that case, you should probably steal ideas from IPFIX (RFC 5101 and
friends). That is a very simple binary format where it doesn't just say
"here is a 4-byte unsigned integer" but very specifically "this is an
IPv4 source address".

I've done an implementation for an IPFIX reader (a "collector" in
IPFIX-speak) and it's easy to get right and easy to get fast.

The only thing you should not copy from IPFIX is its really stupid
encoding of boolean values, where true is 1(!) and false is 2(!!).

Fun,

Stephan