[Cryptography] FREAK attack

Watson Ladd watsonbladd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 13:18:15 EST 2015

On Mar 5, 2015 9:52 AM, "Salz, Rich" <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:

> I know you hate cryptographic agility.  So, riddle me this.
>
> Make a timeline for the past 15 years.  Which ONE cipher suite should
SSL/TLS have used?

> And then, once that timeline is defined, can you describe, loosely, the
protocol changes needed to deploy.  But more importantly, if "pick a
cipher" isn't part of the initial connection, does it become "pick a
version"?  Or does the client connect 'n' times, with the associated TCP
overhead?

The myth is that cryptographers in 1995 did not understand the proper order
of encryption and MACing. The reality is they did. Furthermore,  the RC4
results date back to 1995 as well.

Cryptanalysis has had far less of an impact then imagining that protocol
design isn't cryptography.