[Cryptography] practical verifiable systems -- forensic and otherwise, cheap and otherwise

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Wed Mar 4 17:29:41 EST 2015

On 3/3/15 at 6:59 PM, jthorn at astro.indiana.edu (Jonathan
Thornburg) wrote:

>In contrast, hacking an electronic system can attack the count across the
>entire election.

I like two independent mechanisms which are compared, rather
than depending on just one. If an electronic system is
miscounting a large number of precincts, then an audit of
randomly chosen after the election precincts is quite likely to
catch the electronic systems miscount.

If we are looking at a local election, or a close national
election, like the first George W. Bush election, then it
doesn't take many individual attackers to successfully attack an
unaudited system. I think polling is good enough to know which
precincts will allow attackers to be the most effective.

Cheers - Bill