[Cryptography] The Crypto Bone's Threat Model

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon Mar 2 02:11:04 EST 2015

On 3/1/15 at 10:20 PM, pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz (Peter Gutmann) wrote:

>On the occasions where I've run into it at a low enough level, the lock is an
>opt-in rather than opt-out, so the reader has to specifically include code
>like:
>
>if R/O tab set -> return EACCES
>
>On one occasion we got some rather baffled looks from an embedded-systems
>vendor whose devices would happily write all over write-protected SD cards.
>It was a *feature*, if the field engineers forgot to slide the tab into the
>correct position the system wouldn't shut down due to lack of writeable
>storage.

Which means, if you are looking for the R/O tab to protect you
from hostile software running the SD card, you're hosed.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | "I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn
up the
408-356-8506       | intelligence.  There's a knob called
"brightness", but
www.pwpconsult.com | it doesn't work. -- Gallagher