[Cryptography] Why is ECC secure?

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 11:57:33 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Viktor Dukhovni <cryptography at dukhovni.org>
wrote:

> > > So this approach is a dead-end even for the circle, which is much
> > > simpler than an actual Edwards curve with a non-zero "d"
>
> That said, with a bit more thought (and a hint from Watson Ladd I
> should not have needed), there is a useful homomorphism if we're
> willing to abandon the rational circle for multiplication in a
> finite field.
>
> If p == 3 mod 4, choose $i^2 = -1$ in a quadratic extension $F_{p^2}$.
> If p == 1 mod 4, choose $i^2 = -1$ in the base field $F_p$.
>
> In either case the mapping (x,y) -> (x+iy) is an injective homomorphism
> (monic) from the circle group into the multiplication group of the
> corresponding finite field.  In fact for the 1 mod 4 case the
> mapping is an isomorphism.
>
> So DLP in the 1 mod 4 circle group is identical to DLP in F_p (plus
> the cost of finding a square root of p-1).
>
> DLP in the 3 mod 4 circle group is a sub-problem of DLP in F_{p^2},
> which is subject to essentially the same index calculus attacks as
> F_p, but now the smooth factor base uses gaussian integers.

Thanks for this info.  That's very cool.

Given that the circle group seems roughy equivalent to regular DLP in
difficulty, is it safe to say that finding a compactly representable point
on the unit circle that maps to (x, y) mod p is equivalent in difficult to
DLP?  This would explain why I am finding it difficult to do :-)

Bill