[Cryptography] password fatigue; was: Lastpass

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Wed Jun 17 12:31:04 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 8:11 PM John Denker <jsd at av8n.com> wrote:

> On 06/16/2015 04:19 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>
> > do not store critical secrets on others' systems.  period.  then, learn
> > how to secure your own system(s); this is seriousy hard.
>
> There are several ideas there.  My comments:
>
> 1) You have to secure your own system FIRST.  To say
>    the same thing the other way:  If you enter your
>    password via a platform that has been pwned, then ....
>   -- It doesn't matter how good your master pw is.
>   -- Also it doesn't matter whether or not you use
>    lastpass or anything like that, and it doesn't
>    matter whether you consider lastpass to be better
>    than nothing or worse than nothing.
>   -- Also it doesn't matter whether you use zero-
>    knowledge authentication or anything like that.

You lost me at "You have to secure..." This is obviously relevant to the
people on this list, but it's not going to fly for the world at large.
People like us need to start building secure systems for people to use,
where security doesn't rely on being a security expert. (I see from #3 that
we seem to agree on this).

> 2) Password fatigue is a problem.  We need to focus
>  on this.  Lastpass gets "some" brownie points for
>  attempting to solve the problem, even if you think
>  their attempt is less than 100% elegant and/or
>  less than 100% successful.

YES. Passwords are fundamentally broken. We need two factor authentication
at the very least. But I think for most of the world, the second factor
will need to live in secure storage on their phone, combined with some sort
of proof-of-presence. It can still probably be MitMed on the phone itself,
but the only real solution to that is to have a reasonably secure mobile OS.

> 3a) Snickering at lastpass does not solve the problem,
>  not even a little bit.

indeed.

> 3b) Telling users to solve the problem on their own
>  does not solve the problem.

Ok well obviously we agree on this part.

3c) The only way I can see to solve the password fatigue
>  problem is to get web services to stop asking for a
>  per-site password and instead use some sort of zero-
>  knowledge authentication.  Schemes for doing this have
>  been known for a long time.
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Remote_Password_protocol

SRP still starts with a password, and passwords can be phished. An RSA key
in an HSM with a PIN would be better than something like SRP. Still zero
knowledge between the client and server, but much harder to phish or MITM.

> 3d) If anybody knows of a better solution, please let
>  us know.

Not one that doesn't involve a hardware token of some kind. But if you're
willing to accept a token, U2F seems pretty close to ideal. (Disclaimer: I
started working at Google recently, so I could be considered biased on
this. However, nobody has been able to MITM U2F yet.)

> 4) Yes, securing your system is seriously hard.  Of
>  course that includes securing the subsystem that
>  handles your zero-knowledge authentication.

That's an advantage of having dedicated hardware to do it. Smaller attack
surface.

> 5) This supports my contention that the NSA is not very
>  good at their job.  Note that Information Assurance is
>  part of their mission, if you believe their own website:
>    https://www.nsa.gov/ia/
>  If they had any sense, they would roll out some sort
>  of zero-knowledge authentication scheme and require
>  government sites to use it, e.g. when accessing the
>  security-clearance background info database, just to
>  pick a random example.

That would be cool. You're right, there's no excuse whatsoever for not
issuing everyone involved a hardware token or something. Of course, any
time you buy hardware, you're going through the government contracting
process, which is probably no-bid/cost-plus. Or they just pick RSA and use
tokens that can be easily MITMed.

> 6) Similar words apply to google.  If they had any sense,
>  they would embed some sort of zero-knowledge thing into
>  android and chrome, and use it when connecting to
>  *.google.com.

Why do you think Google doesn't do this already?
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/367057,googles-plan-to-kill-the-corporate-network.aspx
and https://sites.google.com/site/oauthgoog/gnubby

Neither of these avoids tunneling passwords over SSL, but the password need
only be one layer. But if you're stuck with that, there's stuff like the
Password Alert extension, which while it's specific to your Google account,
could easily be extended to watch for other important (and non-reused)
passwords.

I do like the idea of having a special field type or dialog that can't be
spoofed and does something like SRP, though you'd have to teach users to
only type their passwords into that field/dialog, and that's a hard problem
if every site doesn't support it.