[Cryptography] Round Robin Cipher Design Group

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Jun 16 17:16:29 EDT 2015

I would like to form a mailing list whose participants design
and implement cryptographic code and then break each other's
designs.

We will work on encryption, signing, authentication, privacy,
anonymity, algorithms, protocols, applications of cryptography to
data at rest and data in flight, design challenges, etc - and then
let everyone on the list who has any idea how to tear into our
proposals, rip those algorithms, protocols, and proposed
applications to shreds.

This is primarily a study group devoted to learning cryptographic
and cryptanalytic techniques, improving our ability to write
papers about them using standard semantic notations, and improving
our cryptographic design abilities.  It is not likely (or at least
not anytime soon) to result in proposals that see widespread
adoption anywhere, but should at least educate the participants
about the "simple" mistakes in cryptographic engineering that
are so easy to make, without putting massive infrastructure at
risk for the sake of our education.  The hoped-for result is that
in the future, if and when we *do* need to design and implement
such things, we will have the chops to design and implement them
well.

If anyone is interested in joining such a study-and-practice
list, please reply.  If anyone knows additional cryptography
interest groups or lists where people interested in joining such
a group might be found, please forward this message.

This will be a moderated list, allowing posts from members only.
Messages which are off-topic, content-free, political rather than
cryptographic in scope, smell like spam, contain advertisements,
or appear to be deliberately offensive will be blocked.

				Bear