[Cryptography] let's do something intelligent about md5sum!

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Sat Jun 13 18:02:06 EDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 02:18:36PM -0700, John Denker wrote:
> Therefore I suggest that rather than focusing on
> b2sum, we should be thinking in terms of a
>    chksum
> package that takes a grown-up approach to the
> life-cycle issue:
>   -- It should know what to do with a legacy md5sum.
>   -- It should know how to generate something better
>    if-and-when possible.
>   -- It should function correctly during the
>    transition periods between generations.
>   -- That includes recognizing that it, too, will
>    have to be phased out at some point!
>   -- It may have to be a package of things, not
>    a just a single program.

Given the existing confusion with multiple incompatible 'sum' and
'echo' commands (e.g., SysV vs BSD), perhaps it would be wise to choose
a name that isn't quite so easily confused with the POSIX.1 'cksum'
command
  http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695299/utilities/cksum.html
(which computes a CRC-32)?

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA