[Cryptography] let's kill md5sum!

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Wed Jun 10 02:10:40 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 8:08 PM, Tony Arcieri <bascule at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 1:13 AM, Ben Laurie <ben at links.org> wrote:
>
>> But why BLAKE2? And who cares how fast it is?
>

> Anyone verifying the integrity of a large file. Like a 500GB database
> backup, for example...

True,
with a footnote that I/O bandwidth places some bounds on the need for speed.
Consider an archive tool (software) that reads the file, computes
validation codes as it writes
data and the associated meta data including computed check sums.
Consider that tar and cpio contain user data (UID/GID) and unix style file
permissions tar supports block compression.

As long as the process is fast enough the IO streams will stay full and
be the limiting component making the check sum and even encryption free
for the net pipeline with some startup and shut down overhead.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l