[Cryptography] Proposed US ITAR changes would require prepublication approval for most crypto research

Alfie John alfiej at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 9 23:31:09 EDT 2015

Snap, from Australia:

    http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-it/dangerous-minds-are-maths-teachers-australias-newest-threat-20150608-ghira9.html

    "Australian academics who teach mathematics may need to run new
    ideas by the Department of Defence before sharing them or risk
    imprisonment.

    Some academics are set to become much more familiar with the
    department's Defence Export Control Office (DECO), a unit that
    enforces the Defence Trade Control Act 2012, Australia's end of a
    2007 pact with the US and UK over defence trade.

    Until recently, DECO only regulated physically exported weapons and
    so-called "dual use" items such as encryption, computing hardware
    and biological matter.

    However in March the act was updated to include "intangible supply",
    which is intended to prohibit the transfer of knowledge from
    Australia that could be used to produce weapons."

Alfie