[Cryptography] let's kill md5sum!

Zooko Wilcox-OHearn zooko at leastauthority.com
Tue Jun 9 12:19:01 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 9:48 AM, EddyHawk <quarsicon at yahoo.com> wrote:

> -non-crypto people will be more compelled to replace md5sum with b2sum
>  only if blake2 is uniformly faster than md5 (ie., faster without ssse3+
>  instructions)

I don't understand why this matters. BLAKE2 is faster than MD5 in
software in most cases, currently. Future CPUs will probably further
increase that.

> -blake2 favors speed over attack-safety (most notably, by the removal of
>  all constants for its compression function). crypto-worry people don't seem
>  to like such reduced security. they may accept a few less steps, but not
>  weakened compression function.

No, there's no known weakness in BLAKE2. Please see the security
analysis in https://blake2.net/#cr and in
https://blake2.net/blake2_20130129.pdf .

> -introduces (double amount) finalization, like siphash's approach, say
>  4 or 6 or 8 rounds for hashing & 8 or 12 or 16 rounds for finalization,
>  to be uniformly faster than md5.

BLAKE2 as currently specified already has a finalization step
(preventing length-extension attacks) and is already faster than MD5
(in most cases).

Thanks!

Regards,

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn