[Cryptography] let's kill md5sum!

Ryan Carboni ryacko at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 01:45:58 EDT 2015

> On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Ryan Carboni <ryacko at gmail.com

>* My personal preference is the Tiger hash. *>
> >* It's the only long-lived hash function that hasn't been broken*

> Well, not completely broken, but here's an attack that breaks Tiger
> reduced
> to 23 rounds (from 24) with 2^47 complexity:
> http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-540-76900-2_33 Tiger is
> also slower than Blake2b --
> Tony Arcieri

The attack is from 2007. The year is 2015. As time goes on, new attacks are
less likely to be developed, not more. I'm still waiting for DES to be
broken to 2^34 chosen or known plaintexts. That would mean a practical
break of TripleDES. Actually, DES is still widely used and a new break
would be pretty reknown, so there's no reason for any cryptographer to fail
to improve upon attacks on DES.

Furthermore... compared to SHA-1, RIPEMD, and MD5, Tiger is secure.