[Cryptography] let's kill md5sum!

Alexandre Anzala-Yamajako anzalaya at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 15:48:11 EDT 2015

Just a thought...
If we re going to kill of md5sum and break user's habits and scripts we
might as well do it once and for all.
Why not build a tool called hashsum whose options are md5 sha2 sha3 and
blake2 ? This tool could be transparently updated wo breaking compatibility
in the future and the man page would explain the rationale for each option
(md5 would be indicated as deprecated but there for verifying old file
hashes for example)
Going further we could include an option "security level" to give users who
want to have 128 bits of security against (second-) preimage a better
option than md5.

Cheers

Alexandre Anzala-Yamajako

--