[Cryptography] open questions in secure protocol design?

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Jun 2 00:16:29 EDT 2015

On 06/01/2015 04:09 AM, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> On 31 May 2015 09:55 -0700, from bear at sonic.net (Ray Dillinger):
>> Of course, there is at least one other motive that MS may have
>> provided to refuse the upgrade; is XP the last version of
>> windows that can legally be maintained without making continual
>> monthly payments to Microsoft?
>
> FUD. For all my personal preference for non-Microsoft OSes, there are
> two facts at hand in this case:

I'm going to claim ignorance rather than FUD.  As I said, I've
been not using windows for a LONG time.  I believe the last
Microsoft OS I used windows NT. Or, wait, there was one place
I worked that was still using Windows 98 after that.  But I
haven't had any Windows installed on any of my own daily-use
machines for well over a decade.

So, the problem I was thinking of was introduced with XP, not
after.  What then is the compelling disincentive preventing
people from moving to a newer OS?  Is it still resource
hoggery? I remember a lot of complaining about that at a
major Windows release sometime in the last few years, and
a lot of places that didn't want to change OS's until their
computer replacements came around, either on schedule or
as old machines died.

				Bear