[Cryptography] [OT] Improvement to Momentum PoW

John Tromp john.tromp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 15:46:37 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> A problem with Momentum as currently implemented is that it can be run with
> reduced memory, enabling efficient GPU attacks.

Dave Andersen's latest remarks on his GPU code:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=826901.msg11944049#msg11944049
You can ask him what he thinks is a faster implementation.

Fore reduced memory, you can find all collisions in 8MB,
using Cuckoo Cycle's algorithm for finding 2 cycles in bipartite graphs.

>  I think we can get around
> this problem simply by changing the parameters it uses.

> If instead, we run with n == 26, and Hb's output also being 26 bits, then we
> get around 2^26 collisions.

To me, that's a completely different beast.
I would no longer call that Momentum...

-John