[Cryptography] Chertoff & Leiter disagree with Comey; Not Going Dark

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Sun Jul 26 18:10:55 EDT 2015

Speaking at the Aspen Security Forum this week, Third Circuit Judge and ex-Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff and ex-Counterterrorism Director Michael Leiter surprised many by going offscript and disagreeing with FBI Comey's "going dark" stance.

1-hour video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Ev-Wx3VT8

Chertoff quotes from around 15:50:

"we do not historically organize our society to make it maximally easy for law enforcement even with court orders to get information"

"we're not quite as dark sometimes as we fear we are"

"requiring people to build a vulnerability may be a strategic mistake"

Leiter quotes from around 19:30:

"we undermine our national security by having that back door"

"you have to have a law which addresses reality, and not what you hope reality will be"