[Cryptography] Whitening Algorithm

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Sat Jul 25 05:43:20 EDT 2015

On 07/25/2015 02:28 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Its hard to tell from click-bait, isn't it?

I dislike using stream ciphers in general because they
don't achieve diffusion; that complicates key management
and introduces possibilities for making encryption
mistakes.  So I evaluate Spritz as a Random Number
generator rather than a cipher, and find it ... okay.
There are faster ones on desktop hardware of course,
but they're easy to get wrong if you're coding.  I
like Spritz' simplicity, because that makes for robust
code.

If you do the fiddly key management and IV things
correctly to use it for a stream cipher, you can do
that.  But I treat it as a simple, robust CSPRNG.

I would be okay if confident that it's well initialized,
using it to generate a key for a solid block cipher.

			Bear