[Cryptography] Hypothetical WWII cipher machine.

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Jul 20 19:01:19 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 10:56 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:

> Someone on wattpad (where I do some recreational writing) noticed
> that I've done some cryptography, and read my 'fixing Enigma'
> articles, and asked me to design a Plot Device.

> He asked me for a detailed design for something that (A) could
> realistically have been built around WWII, (B) is not a rotor
> machine, (C) is very much more secure than Enigma, (D) that he
> could do a cool, interesting, understandable illustration of,
> (E) whose basic operation could be explained in one page or
> less, and (F) would not make real cryptographers laugh if they
> read his book.

Almost random thought.
With the for all intent and purpose serious attempts to restrict and publish
research and technology related to national security without review by the
powers that be.. where does a fictional story that happens to get
it right play?

Stronger than Enigma, one page illustration, .... in "fiction" could
prove an interesting challenge for the TLAs and ITAR regulations.

Heck printing an enhanced Enigma machine might be more of a
threat than a 3D printed handgun.  Common wire, springs from
ball point pens, brass rivets, 3D printer and bob is 'yer uncle.
Yes software weighs less.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l