[Cryptography] Super-computer project wanted

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Jul 14 12:27:19 EDT 2015

On 07/13/2015 11:35 AM, Henry Baker wrote:

> Crypto content: very high precision chaotic computations can be used for pseudorandom number generators.

An investment of supercomputer time should produce something of
lasting value, IMO.

Maybe you could apply new randomness tests to long sequences of
outputs from supposedly secure pseudorandom number generators
and see if you can discover anything worth adding to Big Crush.
Something that spots patterns in an existing PRNG believed to
be secure would be an important new algorithm for detecting
bad PRNG's and/or breaking stream ciphers.

Or you could apply Big Crush to long sequences of outputs from
deployed implementations of supposedly secure pseudorandom
generators such as those in popular operating systems, devices,
CPU chips, deployed routers and wireless networking devices,
etc, and see who failed to use anything worthwhile or whether
the new random number instruction in Intel CPU's is worth a
crap.

Or you could apply static code analysis software to huge
masses of existing operating system, device driver, plugin,
email-client or god-help-us browser code in wide use and
see if you can't spot instances of dangerous vulnerabilities
like buffer overflows.  A list of known errors would be
very helpful in getting code up to 'bulletproof' reliability
and no one runs ALL the possible static analysis we know
about on large bodies of code because it takes too long on
regular computers.

			Bear