[Cryptography] The Mesh

Ralf Senderek crypto at senderek.ie
Sun Jul 12 14:26:37 EDT 2015

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 19:49:48 Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> Using strong email addresses, the fingerprint of the root of
> trust for the receiver is embedded in the email address.
> So if you send an email message to:
>
> MB2GK-6DUF5-YGYYL-JNY5E-RWSHZ?phb at hallambaker.com
>
> [...]
>
> If the message is sent through the prismproof.org email proxy,

In plain text?

> it will strip out the fingerprint, try to pull an email
> profile with the specified fingerprint from the mesh
> and extract an S/MIME key that chains to that root.

and use this key to encrypt the message on the proxy.

Seems to me, that there are a number of questions to be
answered, if this is going to be pretty secure.

How will you convince the user that there is no "encryption
kill switch" with a remote control to NSA headquaters
on the proxy? It might be doable, I just don't see how.

     --ralf