[Cryptography] Ad hoc "exceptional access" discussion at Crypto'15 ?

Peter Fairbrother peter at m-o-o-t.org
Sat Jul 11 22:19:50 EDT 2015

On 11/07/15 15:12, Henry Baker wrote:
> Is there any appetite for one or more ad hoc sessions to discuss "exceptional access" (aka "keys under doormats" aka "crypto wars") at Crypto'15 in Santa Barbara?

I am unsure what "exceptional access" means.

Is it access by exceptional people, eg the NSA can read everything, or
access in exceptional circumstances, eg the UK's Cameron's "with a
warrant signed personally by the Home Secretary"?

Of course to a cryptographer these are much the same thing, but
politically they seem to be different.

7th principle of information security: Holes for good guys are holes for
bad guys too.

-- Peter Fairbrother