[Cryptography] Best AES candidate broken

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Mon Jul 6 13:26:50 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 05, 2015 at 10:47:04AM -0700, Tony Arcieri wrote:

> Serpent in particular uses S-boxes just like AES (or for that matter,
> Lucifer/DES), which makes it just as difficult to implement in software
> with secret independent timing

Serpent uses sboxes, but ones intentionally designed to be implemented
using bitslicing rather than table lookups. I'm not aware of any
non-toy Serpent implementation that actually does 4->4 bit lookups,
rather than evaluating all 16 lookups in parallel using bitwise operations
whose sequence does not depend on any secret data. Do you?

Cheers,
  Jack