[Cryptography] Crypto Wars

alan at clueserver.org alan at clueserver.org
Mon Jul 6 13:28:22 EDT 2015

> Would anyone be able to recommend me good literature on the Crypto Wars?
> Both historical and theoretical accounts (if they exist) would be great,
> digital or printed. Either stuff on the Crypto Wars I or  II would be fab.

One I have that is good for background is:

Crypto Anarchy, Cyberstates, and Pirate Utopias
edited by Peter Ludlow
MIT Press 2001
ISBN: 0-262-62151-7

Contains a number of manifestos and writings from both sides of the Crypto
Wars I. (Tim May, Eric Hughes, John Perry Barlow, Dorthy Denning, Hakim
Bey, etc.) Interesting from a historical perspective as well, especially
"Bit Rot" by Mary Dery. (Dealing with bad tech predictions.)

I don't know if it is still in print. I have seen digital copies on some
of the less reputable parts of the net. I bought mine at Powell's back
when they still had a tech bookstore.