[Cryptography] traffic analysis -> let's write an RFC?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 01:19:28 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 7:59 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
> For those with shorter memories, back in 2005 when there was a huge
> glut of fiber capacity, Google bought what the press alleged was hundreds
> of millions or billions of dollars' worth of dark fiber.
>
>   "Enter Google. Born in the late 1990s and flush with cash just a few
>   years later, the search giant seized an unparalled opportunity to
>   start buying up this dark fiber capacity on the cheap."
>
>   already building such a network, though ostensibly for many
>   reasons.

They had a vision, knew what they were doing and basically
predicted this span of internet timeframe right on the money
with perfect execution. Google voice, fiber cities, youtube, cloud
services, even their own search and backend over it, etc. Everything
that was being speculated back then for the buys came true. If you're
in that game for the long term you can't afford to be paying transit and
connection fees. It's almost too good to be true and some sources
are saying they had help. But that's another thread.

At least they say they're encrypting it all now. We'd like to know how.