[Cryptography] coding for compression or secrecy or both or neither

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Thu Jan 22 08:20:12 EST 2015

> The claim that hoovering up "only" the metadata is
> somehow not spying is beyond ludicrous.

"We might be following you around everywhere you go, but we never go
inside! We're definitely not tracking you!"

Interestingly following someone around is relatively legal and
non-invasive. Metadata actually exposes a lot more than you'd think. "You
went into  lady A's house for 3 hours", or "you visit X every friday, just
like Y does", or "you visited the `travel India` shop twice" kind of makes
it unnessary to actually go inside, doesn't it?

Relatedly, NLGOV decided to fotograph all incoming and outgoing cars. It
violates the European policy of no-border-control, but as usual they
collectively seem to have decided not to care. They claim not to store the
pictures. Rights, right? The wait is for the AIVD (intelligence agency) to
admit the NSA stores the pictures for them, therefore legating their
storage. Point is, legal protections suck at protecting you in any
meaningfull manner. You need true protection in order to be protected.
Metadata snooping should be impossible, and if it is possible, well, don't
complain. (that's the only workable attitude)