[Cryptography] The Crypto Pi

Bill Stewart billstewart at pobox.com
Wed Jan 14 22:25:13 EST 2015

At 11:32 AM 1/4/2015, Tom Mitchell wrote:
>Given the project complexity of the layers that
>are not proprietary I think the Raspberry-Pi
>is a good place to start. Â  Â The latest Pi
>Model B+ with a micro-SD card and four USB
>ports should be here for a long time.  It is slow... 700MHz...Â
>The Beaglebone Black is quicker at 1GHz.

Comparing speeds isn't as straightforward as you'd expect,
because both RPi and BBB use SOCs with CPU and GPU.
The BBB's got a faster CPU and more RAM, but the RPi has a faster GPU,
so if you believe the specs, RPi can do 1080p at 60Hz, vs. BBB at 30 Hz.

If you're not using the video, and not doing computation on the GPU,
then the BBB's faster, and more importantly, has a newer ARM version,
so you've got more choices of operating system.