[Cryptography] The Crypto Pi

Ralf Senderek crypto at senderek.ie
Mon Jan 12 17:12:16 EST 2015

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 Paul Elliott wrote:

> I already use The PI to serve random numbers to my LAN. I have several
> computers with no onboard hardware RNG.

Do you know how trustworthy the onboard RNG on the Raspberry Pi is? Are
there any references that convinced you to put some faith into its
performance?

> It uses socat with privately distributed keys, (no certificates) to
> encrypt that data as it flows.

That's a cute idea, so to any client software the Pi's random number stream
looks like a device file. But How do you encrypt?
The Crypto Pi uses /usr/bin/gpg for encryption, do you use something
different, as the client must decrypt the stream before simulating
/dev/random to the application layer.

> /dev/random works a lot faster with this software running.

So your solution replaces /dev/random on the client with the data
it receives from the Pi?

      --Ralf