[Cryptography] Imitation Game: Can Enigma/Tunney be Fixed?

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sat Jan 10 12:16:50 EST 2015

At 07:37 PM 1/9/2015, you wrote:
>On 09/01/15 21:56, ianG wrote:
>
>>I was told yesterday that during WWII the Germans had some success
>>parking submarines over undersea cables from UK to US, and using
>>acoustics to pick up traffic!?  Anyone got any references to that?
>
>No ref's, but it seems unlikely - they could more easily have used
>EM techniques on the cables.
>
>If they were over the repeaters though, those had relays, whose
>clicking could perhaps have been detected acoustically.
>

>I find it curious that the Germans didn't cut the transatlantic
>cables though - they knew where they were. Perhaps they didn't want
>to cut off an intelligence source?
>
>The British (and Germans) both cut most of the UK-continent cables,
>though I have heard the British left one from Ireland, as they were
>reading the traffic.

Perhaps relevant are accounts by M J D Brown  and Adrian Ridley-Jones
in 2000 on acquiring inadvertent emanations of comms systems in WW1:

http://cryptome.org/tempest-old.htm (scroll to bottom)

A Tempest timeline

http://cryptome.org/tempest-time.htm

and, NONSTOP protection of crypto systems

http://cryptome.org/nacsem-5112.htm