[Cryptography] Imitation Game: Can Enigma/Tunney be Fixed?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Jan 9 21:51:41 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 6:22 AM, John Young <jya at pipeline.com> wrote:

> Crypto software is not the weakness, it's the complex hardware
> required to process and transceive.

Yes.....

There is a growing gap between crypto software and its related hardware
> due to the Maginot Line overvaluation of software and underevaluation of
> Panzer Tank hardware.

Again YES..  with the addition that building and evaluating hardware can
be improved by modeling in software.... Thus I said.

>  A physical machine is so last century.
>>
>> All the improvements to Enigma can be done in software (modeled).
>

> Your point about a Maginot Line is a good point to make over
and over again...   most security breaches use a side door left
almost unguarded or by an insider which can be a virus, a system admin,
or foolish blunders.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l