[Cryptography] Imitation Game: Can Enigma/Tunney be Fixed?

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 19:37:46 EST 2015

On 09/01/15 21:56, ianG wrote:

> I was told yesterday that during WWII the Germans had some success
> parking submarines over undersea cables from UK to US, and using
> acoustics to pick up traffic!?  Anyone got any references to that?

No ref's, but it seems unlikely - they could more easily have used EM
techniques on the cables.

If they were over the repeaters though, those had relays, whose clicking
could perhaps have been detected acoustically.

I find it curious that the Germans didn't cut the transatlantic cables
though - they knew where they were. Perhaps they didn't want to cut off
an intelligence source?

The British (and Germans) both cut most of the UK-continent cables,
though I have heard the British left one from Ireland, as they were
reading the traffic.

-- Peter Fairbrother