[Cryptography] Photon beam splitters for "true" random number generation ?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Dec 28 21:14:19 EST 2015

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 10:31 AM, John Denker <jsd at av8n.com> wrote:

> On 12/26/2015 09:53 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>
> > A good hot flame?  What's the melting point of gold and silicon, anyway?
>
> material   MP / °C
> --------   -------
> Aluminum:    660
> Silicon:   1,414
> SiO2:      1,600
> Al2O3:     2,072
> Gold:      1,064  (irrelevant, but since you asked)

Metal layers are aluminum, copper and tungsten yet the quality of the
transistors can be baked away at temps well below melting.  Diffusion
requires precision so modest temp soak can disable the gates.

Pulling this back to crypto.
Most USB memory keys contain vendor software
to encrypt the content and drivers that allow the
reading and writing.

Are any of these vendor solutions any good?
I expect most are compromised so I format and repartition devices ASAP.
What alternatives might there be to replace vendor tools?
In some cases a user space driver can allow
views when the OS anchored tools are difficult to trust.

Virtual machines can be given raw access to devices.
Is that access raw enough that VM hosted OS qualities
apply?

Assertion(this may be true).  I believe, if a device was properly encrypted
I do not care if all the blocks (spares, defects, spares) are out of my
control?

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l