[Cryptography] Questions about crypto that lay people want to understand

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Dec 28 20:23:48 EST 2015

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> In gathering material for a crypto talk to
> laypersons, I've been trying to collect a
> number of questions that such laypersons
> would like to know the answers to.

One topic to discuss would be doors, curtains and lights.

Not just locks on doors, shades and lights but who controls
the locks, the deadbolts,  the doors, the shades and the lights.

Extend this to  to questions like "does your pee smell like asparagus?"
Why because at some times of the year it is expensive and we want to
know how you spend...  Extend to health as well as illegal tobacco or
legal coffee or sugar or the presence or absence of water soluble vitamins
our children need to be healthy.

Most of us have doors on our bathroom -- but how is one door
different from another.  Stall doors in schools...

Then there is the diary of a a 10-18 year old girl.   Most classic
hard bound diaries had a lock.  Not a sturdy lock but the lock was
the expression and expectation of privacy.    The diary is not just
private in the home today the internet allows anyone from any time zone
to try and look, anyone.

This any timezone reach or wrong number  phone call from space makes it
difficult to
model big iron doors of walk in bank vaults or layers of security for
Fort Knox or household silver in a locked cabinet.

The deadbolt is interesting because you cannot leave a key with anyone
the action is only inside the door there is no key.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l