[Cryptography] Questions about crypto that lay people want to understand

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Dec 22 12:43:18 EST 2015

> Prior to the invention of *radio*, the use of cryptography was
> sporadic even among govts.  I believe that the U.S.  diplomatic corps
> didn't bother with cryptography until WWI, for example.

American diplomats used codes in the 1700s, and Americans had some
success breaking British codes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_in_the_American_Revolutionary_War#Secret_writing

The State Dept used the "Monroe Code" from 1803.  Secretary of State
Seward sent an encrypted telegram to France in 1866, using it, which
was a fiasco since every digit was charged as a word and it was
fantastically expensive.

http://cryptiana.web.fc2.com/code/ustelegraph1.htm
https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/kent-csi/vol36no4/pdf/v36i4a10p.pdf

R's,