[Cryptography] What should I put in notifications to NSA?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Sat Dec 19 18:21:18 EST 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 7:02 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:

> On 12/17/2015 11:48 AM, Henry Baker wrote:
> > What about "rsync", which utilizes a hash function ?
>
> With legal codes, as distinct from computer code,

> So, bluntly speaking, there is no "definition" precise enough

> I doubt that rsync will ever prevent prosecution (or defense) from
> getting its hands on evidence, nor facilitate the commission of a
> crime more than, say, a standard non-crypto utility like ftp would.

The rsync discussion is interesting with ssh.
rsync -avz -e "ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no  --progress
/home/bigfile.txt 10.9.8.7:/home/bob/

Rsync will maintain identical images and allows the deletion of files
It supports push and pull allowing someone or push messages then
at some "chron" time delete them.  The ssh connection port is agile
and responds to port knocking and source filtering with ease.

The point to point allows central management or in the context of bot-farms
allows near anonymous clean up, delivery or obfuscation.
Yes ftp and sftp allow the same... functionality as does a telnet
connection,
uucico, NFS, http, https, blog, nannie/security cameras and more.

The most difficult to contain are OS exploit based.  If we wish to
manage the global playing field OS flaws need to vanish as quickly
as is possible.  Flaws and exploits allows the participation via a million
sources and destinations to the point that clear text would never be
seen or archived for later analysis.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l