[Cryptography] Satoshi's PGP key.

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Dec 17 11:42:12 EST 2015

>Most rich people don't have wealth that can all be instantly stolen
>and hidden and carried in a tiny USB drive in someone's pocket.
>They have assets distributed over a wide geographical area, most
>of which aren't small, light, fungible or even mobile, ...

The defacto standard way to store your bitcoins does seem to be on a
Windows XT machine running IE6, but it's not exactly hard to have
offline wallets, with the keys printed on pieces of paper you can put
in safe deposit boxes or give to trusted friends, perhaps after
dividing each key into several parts stored in separate places.  On
the assumption that Satoshi is not a complete idiot, he's likely
thought of these and other ways to make it hard to steal his bitcoins.

But really, this is just silly speculation.  If I were an evil
kidnapper, trying to steal large numbers of hard to fence bitcoins
(the wallet IDs would likely soon become public, just from noting big
transactions out of old wallets) would be pretty low on my list of
targets.

R's,
John