[Cryptography] GCHQ puzzler for xmas

Endless 3ndless at riseup.net
Mon Dec 14 21:56:09 EST 2015

> Britain's most secretive organisation - GCHQ - has added a cryptic twist
> to Christmas card season by including a baffling brainteaser.

This reminds me very much of the depiction of the recruitment process
stipulated by "Alan Turing" in The Imitation Game, where a crossword
puzzle was distributed via newspaper for talented citizens to solve, and
subsequently be recruited for the war effort.

The publication of such a puzzle by Hannigan is likely somehow linked
with GCHQ's recruitment operations for their (less than desirable)
positions in mathematical or cryptographic fields, or perhaps the
monitoring of those with advanced mathematical ability.