[Cryptography] Photon beam splitters for "true" random number generation ?

Hanno Böck hanno at hboeck.de
Sun Dec 13 16:43:33 EST 2015

In short: Yes, you can do it, yes, you can also buy such devices.
(I'm not sure if they use exactly this method, but there are devices
using quantum effects to generate random numbers.)

But then let me ask: Why would you want to do this?
Essentially what you're doing is you create a complex physical device
for a non-problem. Use a good PRNG and you're fine. There are very few
problems with random numbers and complicated physics devices don't solve
any of them.

It's far more likely that your device has a failure and will thus bias
your random numbers than any average PRNG with a proper cryptographic
algorithm in the background failing.

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/