[Cryptography] Photon beam splitters for "true" random number generation ?

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Sun Dec 13 16:19:07 EST 2015

At 11:48 AM 12/13/2015, Bill Cox wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 11:19 PM, Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps such a device has already been built & tested?
>
>Probably not.  The reason is that there are much easier ways to avail yourself of (essentially) the same physics.  Thermal noise, for example, gives you just as much “true randomness” as quantum measurements (because thermal noise is, at root, a quantum effect) but it's much (much!) easier to obtain.
>
>If I understand their technology correctly, this company has been selling them for years.
>
>http://www.idquantique.com/random-number-generation/quantis-random-number-generator/

Very interesting; ~ $1100 - $3300 for 4Mbits/sec to 16Mbits/sec.

9 hours to fill up a 64GByte USB flash drive @ 16Mbits/sec.

Next question: how in the world could such a device ever be certified not to have a 'quantum insert' from our TAO friends?  The sales of these devices probably number in the tens per month, so purchasing even *one* would raise a flag at GCHQ.

After all, at $1/GB, you could put 3.3TBytes into a $3300 device; how could one ever certify that a device that incorporate 3TBytes was "truly random" ?

Even w/o memory, a microscopic radio receiver could modify the device output to be no longer random, or an undocumented USB command could do the same thing.

And you thought that testing a VW emissions control system was hard!