[Cryptography] Estimating harddware cost of brute-forcing a key derivation

Panos Sakkos panos.sakkos at protonmail.com
Sat Dec 12 12:52:36 EST 2015

Hi all,

I want to compute a cost estimation of brute-forcing a key derivation function.
I assume that this key derivation is many iterations of SHA256s.

How is this estimation performed by the cryptography researchers?
How can I find the best Hash Rate per USD for a hardware that specializes in hash computations? Like for example the ASICs Bitcoin miners.

I assume that the attacker is paying just for the hardware, not electricity costs :)

Thank you in advance,
:panos

Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com), encrypted email based in Switzerland.