[Cryptography] Talk on encryption to non-crypto audience ?

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 06:29:21 EST 2015

Den 12 dec 2015 03:09 skrev "Henry Baker" <hbaker1 at pipeline.com>:

> I'm going to be giving a technical talk on
> crypto to non-crypto people.  These are
> scientists & engineers, but not computer
> scientists or mathematicians.  They recently
> heard about quantum computers, mobile
> malware, optical fibers, and a future talk
> is on 3D printing, so you get the idea.
>
> Any advice and/or reference links for
> such a talk ?
>
> I was thinking of a couple of scenarios --
> email/SMS and buying something online.  I
> thought I'd talk a little about 1x pads &
> Diffie Hellman exchange.  Possibly mention
> Bitcoin blockchains.
>
> I'm probably going to ignore Rogaway's
> advice re no cute pix.
>
> Any suggestions/recommendations ?

Got all the classical analogies ready? Like key exchange = box with
padlocks being sent back and forth?

Does anybody have a good analogy for perfect forward secrecy? Maybe to use
code books and to burn old used copies? (after the explanation of OTP)

What about analogies for authentication? How about tamper evident seals +
padlocks as the analogy for TLS?

Which other topics are you planning to cover? Anonymity like with onion
routing, more advanced crypto like Zero-knowledge proofs and such?