[Cryptography] Talk on encryption to non-crypto audience ?

Ralf Senderek crypto at senderek.ie
Sat Dec 12 08:23:03 EST 2015

Henry Baker writes:

> I'm going to be giving a technical talk on
> crypto to non-crypto people.

> I was thinking of a couple of scenarios --
> email/SMS and buying something online.  I
> thought I'd talk a little about 1x pads &
> Diffie Hellman exchange.  Possibly mention
> Bitcoin blockchains.

> Any suggestions/recommendations ?

Well, if your audience is mainly non-cypto people
interested in how cryptography affects their digital
lives, I'd recommend to focus on the fact, that
cryptography is easy, but keeping encryption keys
secure is very hard. Try to figure out what your
audience needs to know to better deal with the latter
problem.

Make them understand that they'd need much less complex
systems and far better audited and checked software
including their OS of choice and prepare them for the
conclusion, that convenience - as they know it - has to go.

      --ralf