[Cryptography] FBI Says TX Gunman Used Encryption

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu Dec 10 22:54:05 EST 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 5:01 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> FYI --
>
> '"You can't delete encryption software off the Internet or delete all the
> textbooks telling people how to write it," Mr. Kocher said.'

These are text messages.   They are either old school word codes like the
trading companies of sailing and morris code days or random appearing
numbers and characters.

Since confidential conversations are a normal part of life how does
he intend to get there from anyplace like this.

 34   45   98   58   73   67   39   78   75   38
 30   48   22   88   16  100   27   85   94   41
 14   92   89   50   90   36   76    3   99   86

SMS messages are by nature short so lack header and depend
on a known method.
Each time I update windows 10 a growing list of services require
me to prove myself and send me a secret numeric code.  Thus the
internet is already full of numeric codes.

Where I am going is that I cannot see any context where reading
all messages in advance or post event is ever possible. If any approved
method contained a key under the mat I know I would use code
phrases and "pants" any listener.

I want what he is smoking outlawed.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l