[Cryptography] Anyone else seen some odd shipping delays?

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Fri Dec 4 15:09:17 EST 2015

> Twice in the past week, I have ordered a computer and it has been subject to odd shipping delays and the UPS data makes no sense.
>
> I don't think it is seasonal, other stuff arrives fine. Only computers seem to be held up.
Two examples hardly prove anything.  The Snowden leaks concerning this particular supply chain attack implied it was an on-going, well-organized effort.  I very much doubt you'd see anything in the UPS data.  Meanwhile, I regularly get stuff of all sorts - typically *not* computer equipment - which has bizarre tracking data.

I'm not saying your stuff *wasn't* "spiked" - just that what you've observed, to me, neither increases nor decreases my estimate of the probability.

> So anyone have ideas for checking over a QNAP box to see what surprises might have been planted in the firmware?
Without access to detailed information almost certainly available only to QNAP - and perhaps not even then - I doubt you have much chance of detecting a competent implant.

                                                        -- Jerry