[Cryptography] Anyone else seen some odd shipping delays?

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Fri Dec 4 15:32:21 EST 2015

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 11:10:57AM -0500, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> I have attended MIT workshops where we discuss this sort of
> thing with people who retired from the most senior positions of certain
> three letter agencies. One of the hypotheses I put forward at that meeting
> is that
>
> 1) China has good reason to fear cyber attack from Russia (look at a map,
> all those countries between them are highly unstable and have large Russian
> and Han minorities)
[[...]]

A slightly more accurate statement might be that China has good reason
to fear cyber attack from the US, Russia, and other countries.  But it
seems to me that the US is China's #1 attack threat.  (Consider the classic
trilogy -- Means: Stuxnet et al; Motive: geopolitics; Opportunity: lots
of IP connectivity, lots of business travelers to provide cover, lots of
submarine cables to tap, etc.)

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA