[Cryptography] Speculation about Baton Block Cipher

Peter Bowen pzbowen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 19:17:37 EDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:
> On 08/18/2015 10:18 AM, Ryan Carboni wrote:
>> Baton has:
>>
>> 12 byte block size
>> 16 byte block size
>> 24 byte initialization vector
>> 20 byte key
>> 20 byte checksum
>>
>> Let's play a what does not belong game.
>>
>> Which number does not belong?
>

> Heh.  Is this a trick question?
>
> The checksum size is of course ludicrous with respect to the key
> and block size.
>
> They don't need more than 4 bytes for a checksum, if that.  BATON
> is implemented in hardware with a secret algorithm, so virtually
> anything could be encoded in the remaining 16 bytes and nobody
> would be the wiser.
>
> The fact, however, doesn't lead me to any specific speculations,
> except that it's probably some kind of deliberate side channel.
>
> But it's not at all clear what such a side channel would be
> useful for.  It's a Type 1 product.  Why do you suppose the
> NSA would install a side channel on their own communications?

I think this is confused.  It is a 20 byte (160 bit key) combined with
20 byte "checksum" which is tied to the key.  I would guess this is a
keyed checksum used to ensure that only authorized keys are used.

I'm guessing BIP32 is a bit-interleaved parity algorithm, so you are
only looking at 4 bytes of checksum for bulk data.