[Cryptography] SHA-3 FIPS-202: no SHAKE512 but SHAKE128; confusing SHAKE security

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Sat Aug 15 15:42:50 EDT 2015

On 15/08/15 19:54, John Gilmore wrote:
> now a huge majority of TLS keys are 1024 bits.

Isn't that out of date? I think 2048 RSA is now more common
than 1024 bit RSA and ECDH is or has become more common than
RSA key transport. We had presentations on various measurements
at the saag session at the last IETF. [1,2,3]

Slide 4 of [3] says that 96% of TLS certs (seen in use I assume)
are "2KRSA" and that 70% of servers (web servers I think) now use
ECDH with p256.

S.

[1] https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/93/slides/slides-93-saag-2.pdf
[2] https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/93/slides/slides-93-saag-3.pdf